Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Thoughts on the 2004 /2005 Season

Well here goes on a summary of my thoughts over our last season in the Championship (hopefully)

1) Start of the Season
Looking back at the 2003/2004 season and reaching 3rd / play-off semi-finals and semi-final of the FA Cup was not bad from where we were after being relegated. So although we had not achieved anything in that season I looked on to this season with optimism. As I said in my first blog message to open the blogsite my hopes were to attain the premiership place without going through the play-offs to this end Mick and the boys got us there and with a lot of passion and teamwork.

2) The Branch and my new role as Secretary
Well we had to keep the Branch going when Huyton resigned as both Huyton and the Reaper had their dreams to have a family run Branch that would keep growing as long as there was still Sunderland blood running through our veins. I think the big difference this year from last is that I have not been alone and Huyton seemed to do everything. Don't get me wrong it has been worrying at times but with Thomas in charge of the cash at least I do not have to worry about that side of things. Have I enjoyed it .... yes suppose so it will get harder next year as hopefully we fill the coach and it will become mandatory to book your place on the coach. I know this will bring it's own problems with people not letting me know but I will endevour to ask before members get off the coach if they will attend the next match then we know how may places we have left. I believe in talking to Thomas we are only about £80 down from where we started at the beginning of the season which if correct is truly remarkable. All will be revealed at the annual meeting to be held over June (date to be announced) this leads me on to my first gripe - members attendance at monthly meetings if we can make the effort to attend meetings I would expect a small majority of members to attend - I think the maximum we ever got was two attending. So next year heres hoping for a better turn out after all it's not my Branch it's your Branch for you to have your say in how it's run.

3) Don Smiths
I think you will agree that the coach company have looked after us this season - first class coaches and on time(when Jackie is driving) I have written to Don Smiths stating we were happy with the service and would be requiring them again. They have put the cost of the coach up next season from £150 to £165 so hopefully with a full bus we should be okay. I will try to negotiate down like I did last season and pay reduced cost upto January 1st. The new cost at £165 is still below the second best quote I got for this season so it is a good price even if I don't get a staggered introduction.

4) The Season
Well what can be said that has not been said by you bloggers before. A terrific outcome from a team of players that maybe not household names but they played as one and played for each other. Mick McCarthy should be congratulated for getting the best out of them. Yes Brighton was the turning point and as we went into April that we all said was our "Waterloo" we need not have bothered worrying only being beaten by a team that we thought was one of the easier ones - Reading. Best Goal - I was going to say Elliotts against Wolves away but I think the West Ham clincher goal probably equals it. Best Save - Ben Alnwick save against West Ham - magnificent and at his age!

5) Away Travel
As we had no interest from our members we traveled with the Sedgefield branch and quite honestly we probably will continue into next season as the loyalty scheme will kick in and those who did not travel for the past year or so will not get tickets for most of the away games in the Premiership so the regulars who traveled with Sedgefield last year will probably be the only ones from our branch that will get tickets = 10 /12 members not enough to run your own coach.
Clive Dent must be congratulated for doing a first class service in running all the away trips and knowing so many watering holes on the way. Okay some were crap but if you made your own entertainment then the afternoons always went down well. The discussions on and off the bus were humorous with yours truly leading the way with most of the seedy discussion. Rossy well what can we say... blind as a bat but a first class driver. I will write to Clive later thanking him on behalf of the Branch for all the good away trips.

6) Biggest Disappointment
Got to be missing the pole dancers at the Preston away game...... I still owe you one Mr Winger Walton!

7) Next Season
Got to be minimum finish 4th from bottom but hoping for a mid table position. It depends on who we bring in. Good to see that we are making the right decisions in the outgoings with more to follow so we are told. Okay sad to see Marcus going but he is happy with the situation and probably knows it would have been hard for him in the Premiership and he would have been on the bench for most of the season. As others have put it before me "no room for sentiment in this game"

8) Missing Fans
Yes I hope that the fans will return but don't start to complain as soon as things don't go according to plan. We all know that next season will be hard but we can hold our own even if will mean a few drubbings on the way. And could we see Huyton and Postman Pat return with the Reaper for more matches .... I hope so.

9) Nights Out
I am hoping that we can have a few good nights out next season to either raise funds for the club or just to have a good night out and have a good banter. I was thinking of a night at Sunderland Greyhounds they are doing some good deals at present. What do you think?

10) And Finally
Thanks to all the members of the Branch, the team Jackie from Don Smiths for making it a great first season for me as Secretary ... unless I get voted off at the next AGM in June.

FTM

Jim Gilling

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 11, 2005, Blogger Billy said...

Brilliant post Jimmy. You've obviously recovered from the excesses of the weekend and put together a comprehensive report of our season.
Only thing to add is my personal thanks and respect to you for keeping the branch going in the first instance then moving it forward after that. I feel that the team and supporters have 'weathered the storm' and although next season will have it's challenges I'm optimistic of success. Best thing for me was being part of the revival and seeing the team develop as the season progressed. After that terrible 19 point season we were rock bottom but now we've regained some pride and some lost ground and I feel like we're back in contention.
Bring on the Magpies - we've nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

 
At Thursday, May 12, 2005, Blogger WALTER, THE FAMOUS ARGENTINIAN MACKEM said...

Marvellous posting Jim indeed.. I agree with all wot you have stated in this entry.It also reasurring to learn from the distance that things are going the right way for the Branch; many duties for everybody but rewarded in the long run.
I can't keep on waitng for the kick off of the campaign...

 
At Thursday, May 12, 2005, Blogger Huyton Hoofer said...

Too many points in there to comment on without a real analysis.

Wait for it Jim, it's comin.

 
At Thursday, May 12, 2005, Blogger Huyton Hoofer said...

Right Jim, first thing to say is 1,143 words is a dissertation, not a blog entry.

I'll try to be positive.

1. Season start, can't argue with that, although anything less than promotion this season would have been a disaster, both financially and crowd wise. Winning the league in a financial straight jacket was a fantastic achievement. Respect to MM.

2. The Branch. I was really made up that someone was prepared to take it on. You are a top man JG. However after a season I can see the same optimism in you that was present in me at the same stage. You are giving people credit for having some common sense, sadly they haven't. They don't listen, ( you've witnessed that already) and all they want is a bus to get them there and back.

I wasn't aware that you are having regular branch meetings, had I been I would have attended. Attendance's don't surprise me, what started off with 20 + ended up with 3-5 if we were lucky. Nowts changed there then.

It's a thankless task Jim, but Thank You from me. You've done a good job.

3. Don Smiths: Good move by First Choice to sub contract them. Coxhoe's gain, there loss, but moving to Stanley had its' effect too. Jackie is a great bloke. Prices of coaches always astound me.

4. The Season ; See point 1. Nuff said.

5. Away travel:- Always problematic, but a winning team brings it's own problems. Should SAFC get off to a good start then you may find there is interest. Loyalty points are quickly built up and there ways and means. Segdefield are good to travel with if not a little chaotic at times.Organising everything takes it's toll, doesn't matter hoew long you've been doing it.

6. Biggest disappointment: I'm cuplible here, but witnessing a half full SOL is tragic. Still think theres a long way to go to get the missing thousands back.

7. Next Season:- Anything other than relegation will be a big achievement. Players come and go, today's hero is yesterdays man. Quickly forgotten. Have to be extra special to be legendary. Stewart doesn't fit that category.

8. Missing Fans: See 6. I will sit on the fence . I won't be committing myself to a season ticket until I'm absolutely certain the direction is the ricght one, both on and off the field. Can't take the hurt and disappoinment any longer. Older and wiser are think the words are.

9 Nights Out:- Always great fun, lots of work involved, and sometimes disappointing in the numbers that turn out.
See point 2 and not listening.
How will the dogs raise funds?

10 And finally.: you've had a relatively problem free season. No major conflicts with anyone, witnessed a team on the up so everyone is happy. I hope it stays that way for you Jim, cos when they start fuckin whinging you'll understand where I've been.

PS, If you add our two posts together than thats half of my assignment done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home