Sunday, April 24, 2005

Message from Sir Mick

Dear Coxhoe Branch,

In terms of an achievement you can't get better.

As you can imagine, I've got one or two messages of congratulations - 71 to be exact! I'll sit and answer them over one or two beers!

(On Ben Alnwick)
He was terrific, absolutely terrific. He's just re-signed and we're delighted. Poor Inghy got the short end of the stick last week. Ben played well during the week and he's come in and done a brilliant job. He's a good keeper.

It's been great. We played far better against Reading and didn't win. It's been an unbelievable game today. We sat downstairs and analysed the game and I said 'What are we analysing the game for? We've won it - sod it!' That's the way I feel at the minute - it was a win and that's all that matters.

We'll be going to West Ham to win. I don't want to lose any games now. I don't want to go there and not win.

We have a responsibility to fans and everyone else to try and win the Championship. We have a responsibility to try and take the points and that starts at West Ham on Friday.

When we got six points from five games and then lost at Brighton, did I always believe that we were going to go up? Probably not. We were relying on a great bunch of lads to keep winning but we were also relying on others losing.

(On Peter Reid)

I have no idea if he's texted me, but I'll bet you next week's wages he will be. He might have already, but I know that there'll be nobody more happy for me than Reidy.

We sourced players over the (last) summer and bought the best I could and they've been brilliant and deserve the credit.

When the club was relegated a lot of flak went Bob's way, and in fairness to him, when I first came here and saw the infrastructure - the stadium and the training ground - that's all credit to him.

When I first came to the club we had 19 points and were at the bottom of the league. It wasn't his and the board's fault. The board and Bob supported me. I'm delighted for him and everyone that's connected with the club. It's a great occasion.

I left the players celebrating and went to see my wife. She's only missed the Cardiff game this season.

When we lost at Palace she got the sharp end of it. My language was choice when we were on holiday in America last summer. She deserved a hug and a kiss and that's who I wanted it off.

I was tainted when I first came here - there's no question about that, but between myself, Taff, the players and the rest of the staff , we've got the club back where it belongs - in the Premier League.

Whatever flak I got in the beginning when we went down, I'll take it. And now I'll take all the plaudits, pleasure and self-satisfaction for getting the club promoted.

I've been lying when I've been saying that I haven't been thinking about the Premier League. I don't lie much, but it's hard not to. I've been thinking about both scenarios, but I've had to pinch myself in case it didn't happen.

It's been discussed, but we'll start planning on Monday.

I won't be in work tomorrow because my face will be sore because I'm smiling so much. I might be found walking around my estate later on, I have to be honest!

Our supporters were getting emotional. They've enjoyed it, but I don't feel as happy, elated and delighted today as I felt in despair as when we lost at Palace last season.

That feeling of despair and despondency, when you have to face people - it's very hard.

I'll enjoy it, but it doesn't compare with the depth of despair I felt last year.

Our players showed pride and character. We were outplayed for 20 minutes of the game. Ben made a great save. Stewy had a great chance, but the players showed a lot of character. We handled it. It was tough at times, but I'm very pleased.

I enjoyed the game when the equaliser and the winner went in, but even at the end we had to wait for their result. Even then the bloke who read it out ripped the arse off me. He said 'The result from the game is ... Ispwich.1 ... Leeds...1 - I thought he was going to say 2!

I can't describe the feeling I felt when I heard their result, but it was a nice feeling. It was nice for all of us.
All the best,Mick McCarthy (see you in the Premiership).Sunderland 2 Leicester City 1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home