Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Message from Niall

Dear Coxhoe Branch,

"It's a great feeling. I'm so proud of those players. People tuned in to see us spanked again today. For them to come out and perform like that, I'm so proud of them."My role at the club will be different, I'll remember what those players did today. The new manager coming in knows he's got characters in there. A lot was put at those players in the last couple of weeks and they could have felt sorry for themselves."It was almost astonishing when you consider what they have been through in the last three weeks."Chris Brown came in from the cold in many ways and performed as if he has been there for a while, he was fantastic."Grant [Leadbitter] led the team on. Dean Whitehead, what a chance he has now, working with one of the greats in his position. The sky's the limit now for Deano, to learn from one of the all-time greats."I was so pleased the players won that game the right way. They passed it with confidence. They impressed their new manager I would say. I think he knows he's got soemthing to work with, it's in there."I'm pleased the club is in the best possible hands, the best that was available - Roy Keane. I'm so pleased with the person we've managed to attract, I think everyone around Sunderland can feel good tonight, for the first time in a long time."I'm looking forward to seeing the players learn from Roy. He brought a buzz to the place today and my players responded. They fought for their futures and they showed what they wanted to show to the [new] manager."He felt that if he signed [a contract] yesterday he would want to pick the team, and the players had already been told the team; so he said he would do it after the game."Roy being introduced to the players yesterday, you could almost see them standing up an inch or two taller and saying, 'We're working with that man, that's incredible'."You get the sense that everyone got such a lift. It's going to be a great time for the club. The people of Sunderland can now see we mean business, I'm pleased for the people who backed me."The demands on the players at a club like Sunderland are big anyway, it's a demanding place; but they will have new standards now."He [Keane] interviewed us for the job. He's such an impressive guy. His desire and passion is amazing. He's a world-class attraction and I'm really looking forward to giving him the support that he'll need."There is no question of him playing."I felt sorry for Sunderland fans in the last couple of years. We're here fighting and we're hoping it's going to work. It's hard work and the standards will have to be lifted now."We have three days now [to bring players in before the transfer window closes]. We'll go and try to help him out in the next few days."I think there was a buzz at the end that suggested people who were at the match might tell other people. I'm confident that the fans will come back."All the best,
Niall
Sunderland 2 West Bromwich Albion 0 Click here for match report.
Next match: Derby County v Sunderland, Saturday September 9 (3pm).
Click here for all the latest ticket information.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 29, 2006, Blogger Billy said...

Watched the press conference live on Sky at 1 o'clock. Quinny and Keane were awesome!

A lot to do but things looking more promising than for a long time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home