Monday, January 31, 2005

Everton v SAFC

What a long day without the result we were hoping for!
The day started at 7.45am and after we picked up at all the surrounding villages it was 8.45am before we hit the motorway at Aycliffe. I did not feel too well as I was suffering from a heavy cold picked up on my exploits to Istanbul last week. A few rum and cokes on the way down did not relieve the aches and pains.
We went down the A1(M) to get on the M62 - don't ask why only the driver knew but we hit a traffic jam and delayed us by about 3/4 hour. We eventually arrived at the watering hole in St. Helens just before noon - watering hole was not very good but Phil A was supplying the whiskey as he will miss my Birthday bash this weekend.
Arrived at the Ground - lines of buses showing that we had a great following but alas things got worse we were in the bottom tier and at the end near the corner flag - all what Billy stated he definitely did not want. We paid £26.00 for a seat that we did not sit on as we could not see the pitch unless we stood up and the toilet facilities were from the third division. Only good point was the pies were not bad and reasonably priced.
The Lads appeared not to be wanting to play in the first half - one of the worst first halves for along time we were a bit better in the second half but not much to write home about. It wasn't that we were up against a premiership side - given the right commitment I am sure we could have ground a draw out of this game.
Then there was the long drive home - up the M6 across the A66 - yes ask the driver why??
I eventually got off at the Fishburn road ends - calling my brother before-hand to pick me up there as I did not fancy another 1/2 hour going around the Trimdons. I needed to get out and have a pint in the Club with my missus who had already gone there and had been on the phone asking where I was.
Brian (Billy) seemed a bit edgy and mumbled that this was the last time for him - don't know if it was the long day, the seating, the performance or I had upset him again - not sure but I will call him to find out.
Anyway we got what we deserved, for the loyal support that was there the team should have put on a better show and ease the burden of an absolute shite ground.

Jim Gilling

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home