Sunday, January 23, 2005

SAFC v Sheffield United

Saturday started quite hectic with a trip to Team Valley Retail Park to buy a TV package that I had been promising myself to buy for the last five years and finally get rid of the rental package I have had for years. I probably have spent nearly £1,000 on rental and when I phoned Boxclever to tell them to pick the unit up they asked instead of canceling was I interested in a reduced monthly rental as I had been a loyal customer. My reply was you should have suggested it many years ago. That made me wonder about season tickets - if we stated we were canceling our season tickets would SAFC offer a reduced "rental". I think not!
Due to the mad rush to buy the TV I arrived at Coxhoe Club about 12.30pm instead of the usual 12.00pm. Brian and George were getting worried I wasn't going to turn up and Kevin was in with his postman's Pat uniform on - next season I bet he goes to the matches again as he will get a season ticket no problem thanks to the postal system!! I still managed a couple of double Bells before setting off at 12.50 on the coach to the SOL.
There were a few missing on the bus due to holidays and we made a loss of £26.00 on the cost of the bus hire. We are still doing okay on finances but it would be great to get back to the numbers of old but won't hit these until we are back where we belong in the Premiership. As everyone knows I have managed to obtain two sponsors for the coach which will see us okay well beyond next season.
The game was a typical cup match rather than league match with SAFC controlling the game in the first half and a fine Marcus Stewart (Coxa lad!) goal that gave us an advantage to take us into half time. Second half we seemed to loose the midfield and let Sheffield back in the game but held on for a deserved three points. All the more important when we learnt that Wigan and Ipswich had drawn their games.
Journey home was a nightmare with stupid drivers blocking coach exits and not knowing what lanes to be in going around roundabouts. We also saw a guy knocked over opposite the Beehive in the City Centre hope the guy was okay as it did not look good. Finally got home at 6.15pm.
Went down the club with the wife and had a crap night - singer was shite but the beer flowed okay. Bumped into Stephen W "under the influence" and asking for a branch meeting to discuss picking up a West Cornforth as there was only one to pick up today. My thoughts are Jack tries to cut down on the number of pick ups and it backfired and we lost more than we gained. Okay next meeting we will discuss as the guys from Bishop Middleham who have to drive to Coxhoe for their lifts might be questioning why the Doggie people can't do the same. I think we should leave as it is until next season then discuss where we are in terms of league and what pick up points we want. Also heard from big Brassy that Roughy had briefly been in the Red Lion as he had been doing a local gig. It would have been good to meet up with Roughy with my Birthday bash only two weeks away - perhaps he was looking for a deposit!!!!!.
Regarding my birthday bash - to all those who have invites get there early as I am expecting a big crowd about 240 or so and the "big end" has a fire and safety limit of 260. The committee are putting out all the seats and tables as they do when there is a full house but be warned if you want to sit next to your mums and dads or friends and don't want to sit next to any Mags that are invited ( I only invited them so Roughy could take the piss - honestly) get there about 7.00pm to 7.30pm.
Well now I have to sit down and get all my gear together for this weeks business trips - Birmingham tomorrow, Istanbul Tuesday through to Thursday, Bradford on Friday and not forgetting Everton on Saturday.

FTM


Jim Gilling

3 Comments:

At Sunday, January 23, 2005, Blogger Billy said...

I agree that going round Doggy for a couple of people seems a bit of a journey but we should leave things as they are till the end of the season.
I actually posted a new blog a couple of hours ago about yesterdays game but it hasn't come through yet.

 
At Monday, January 24, 2005, Blogger Mark Rough - Comedian said...

I did indeed pop in I also went to the club and witnessed that awful singer, Christ on a bike! Gordon Armstrong showed more energy than her! I didn't see you Jim or your Missus, however as I don't know what you look like I'd have had a job with the swarming hordes in Coxhoe Club. I had a very convivial pint with Brassy and set off in the snar!
My posters looked lovely and they caused a couple of double takes when I walked in!

 
At Sunday, February 06, 2005, Blogger Huyton Hoofer said...

definitely pays to learn from past experience. Sounds like the Doggy contingent has dropped right off. Sign of the times I guess. last time around they were the ones that showed the committment to get to Coxhoe and get themselves back home again. Kelloe were in no such frame of mind and wanted it on a plate.

Times are hard at present and we've just got to hope that it doesn't all end in tears again. Premier leagie football will make a difference but will it ever get back to 1999/2000?

Don't spoonfeed the punters too much cos they often bite the hand that feeds them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home