Tuesday, March 29, 2005

England v Northern Ireland

It is quite different going to a International match than a normal SAFC game as I try to explain in the following notes: -
Due to the fact that Billy senior and cousin Billy were staying down for the weekend and the Sedgefield branch were going by train I took the option of going on my own by car main reason needed to get back to take Mrs Gilligan out on the night and the fact that I don't pay for my diesel so trip was for nothing. I set off when I woke up, no need to wait for anyone so I was off on the motorway at 7.25am and went past Bradbury about 7.30am (only 5 minutes away take note all the Sedgefield branch!) The trip down was good radio 2 belting out 60's music until I got to Old Trafford at 9.30am. Looked about for a good parking slot, the spives were wanting between £4 and £5 to park in derelict waste ground or old industrial buildings. I opted for a place in the North Stand N2 official parking at £6 and parked with my bonnet pointing direct to the exit gate to avoid any delays at the end of the match.
Needed a pee before setting off to the city centre - called Clive and he was arriving by train at 9.55am so I headed for the train station area. Missed the train coming in but bumped into Clive and his mob (Brian, no it was not Sven but Alan in my earlier blogposted photograph) having early morning breakfast, take away pasties. We went to Wetherspoons in Piccadilly area as we were informed that it was opening at 10.30am, it was also the place where I was meeting up with the two Billy's later in the day. We stood, we waited 10.30am came and went, Clive's crew decided to go nearer the ground to the Trafford pub (now that name stirs some memories of meeting 5 barmaids from the Trafford in the Regent Palace, London but that's another story that may come out when my solicitor gives the okay!) So I stood until 11.15am with a host of other fans from Leeds, Coventry, Preston all waiting for a cheap pint. I then decided to move on, I called Cousin Billy who advised me they would be at Victoria station at 12.30pm so I headed in that direction and found a small welcoming pub called the Mitre opposite two pubs that were full to the brim inside and outside of mixed supporters from both countries. The police soon intervened and informed all landlords that no one was allowed outside on the pavements with alcohol. I stood at the bar admiring as I usually do the barmaids had a god chat with Tina and warned her of the impending arrival of the two Billy's and the rest of the gang. They arrived and cousin Billy got the drinks in only to move to a quiet spot to use his .... you've guessed it his mobile. We soon moved on as Billy Senior stated that this was his area and that he would take us all to a few pubs he had visited before, one oddly named the Blob shop. We could not get in to this pub - regulars only, so was the Wetherspoons that I had waited patiently outside earlier in the day. We tried to get into the Piccadilly Arms but again locals only at which point Billy Senior stated he was a local and drank there every day, this did not work. We ended up in a bar just off the main city centre square can't remember what it was called but we met up with some Leeds fans who wished SAFC all the best in the premiership next season and stated they thought they would need another two years to re-build their team. In this pub I had a shandy having had my quota of two pints for driving. Dave, Cousin Billy's mate, tried to get me to stay at his place over the weekend but I kept refusing and refusing every time he brought the subject up. I must admit I was tempted but the thought of another punch in my chin this time off Mrs Gilligan kept me on the straight and narrow. We left and went to Yates where I was stopped from going in by the bouncers. Was it a reference to my exploits in Leicester surely not? I then found out it was due to the fact I was wearing my colours - anyone would think it wan't an England home match. Champ gave me a QuickSilver top he had found in Kelloe Greyhound on Friday night so wearing this I was allowed in. I did not have a drink here because the beer looked shite and with a bit of lemonade in it would have been even worse. Anyway we headed for the train station at Oxford Street to take us direct to Old Trafford. Big Q to get tickets for the train that was due in two minutes so we boarded the train without paying - simple but effective. Arrived in the North Stand first tier just as the teams were coming out of the tunnel. Atmosphere was electric with no spare seats except from up in the directors and guests area were there was probably about 150 spare seats. Kick off - game on - first time passing was excellent, great saves from their keeper with an un-inspired performance from Mr Whitley. Half-time 0:0 England supporters subdued and rather quiet during the first half but the second half started with a bang and then a wallop - I was pleased I didn't go for that pee just before the start of the second half as there were loads who missed Joe Coles opener. Crowd now buzzing with chants of "Are you Scotland in disguise" then there was the Mexican waves that even the England dug out joined in on one occasion. End of the match 4:0. Great performance, good movement and first time passing with flicks and dummies showing that somethings from the training field can be duplicated in a live match. I did not get too carried away as the opposition was noting to write home about but if we play like this on Wednesday night we should better or equal Polands score against Azerbaijan. I went to the car had a bite to eat then let out of the car park at 5.15pm arrived home at 7.05pm after listening to all the phone ins on 5 live, good banter from the Irish and some funny calls from England fans saying we were now world beaters and a cert for winning the World Cup - they must have had more than my two pints of beer.
Took Mrs Gilligan down the Club where reality hit back again with the same old shite on stage but I was in a more happier mood now, sinking plenty of John Smith's cold to make up for the ones I missed in the afternoon.
Next comes Wednesday with Clive picking me up at 3.00pm outside the Lion we are having a drink in Durham before getting a train to Scumland. My seat is in the Milburn Stand, Platinum Club so I should be okay for prawn sandwiches and cocktails. I will post another blog after this match and take some more pictures this time from a shite ground but not so shite players on the pitch for a change.

Jim Gilling
FTM

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 29, 2005, Blogger Billy said...

Brilliant posting Jimmy, so good I almost feel like I was there. Looking forward to your posting from Wednesdays game.
When you see Clive have a bit crack with him about the transport and pub arrangments for Wigan.
Now about these 5 barmaids ...... tell me more!!!

 
At Tuesday, March 29, 2005, Blogger Huyton Hoofer said...

Billy, calm down!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home