Friday, May 06, 2005

Could this be our first signing?

Arsenal midfielder Edu has revealed he does not intend to stay at Highbury this summer and plans to continue his career at newly promoted Sunderland.
The Brazilian's future has been the subject of speculation for many months now following his decision not to sign a new contract with The Gunners.
He will become a free agent when his present deal expires in the coming weeks and a host of European clubs were chasing his signature.
Valencia had long appeared to be in pole position to land the 26-year-old and reports in Spain persisted that he had signed a pre-contract with the Mestalla outfit.
Also, Barcelona and Real Madrid were understood to be monitoring developments and Juventus were believed to have joined Serie A rivals Internazionale in the race for the former Corinthians star.
Speaking to the English media, Edu conceded he was flattered by Juve's interest and even revealed he had held talks with Brazil international team-mate, and current Juve star, Emerson about a move to the Stadio delle Alpi.
He insists he has made the decision on his future and has made it clear he does plan to quit Highbury in the summer by joining Sunderland and lead Mick McCarthy's challenge in the Premiership.
"Sunderland are a big team, they fight every year for the pride and passion of their great supporters and the interest they have shown in me makes me happy," he told Sky Sports.
"I have decided on Sunderland. I'll go back to Brazil, then I'll rest and come to Sunderland with great determination to fulfill the ambitions of the manager and the terrific fans. I also hope to win things at Sunderland as the fans deserve this"
"I've spoken with Emerson but I prefer not to say what he said.
"The most important thing for me will be playing in a team that has good organization and that could fight for both the title and eventually Champions League.
"I could have played in Italy or Spain and I did not want to play back in Brazil. My aim is continuing my career in England with Sunderland."
Edu's words will be a blow for Gunners boss Arsene Wenger who insists he has still not given up hope of persuading the midfielder to stay.
"I am not resigned to the fact that he will leave," Wenger had said.
"It is probably 95% that he will go but I have not given up."

2 Comments:

At Friday, May 06, 2005, Blogger Billy said...

Not quite the same version which is on Sky Sports web site.
Some wordsmithing by FOM I think!

 
At Saturday, May 07, 2005, Blogger MelvinH said...

Maybe the wordings right BUT I reckon the players name is wrong i think it is AGADU who,s comin (black lace )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home