Thursday, July 28, 2005

Hull City 1 SAFC 0

Well it was my first away game of the season and one that I wish I hadn't gone to!

I was on business in Leicester during the day so made the short trip over to Hull - set the sat-nav for Hull City FC and yes you've guessed the directions took me to the old ground. After asking in the local Asda I was only about 5 minutes away so I arrived about 6.30pm. parked the car in a street just near to a great fish and chip shop - better than at West Ham but Hull have the advantage of being a fishing port. Pub across the road as well and full of SAFC supporters singing songs about Bobby Robson - do they not know he was sacked!

Short walk to the ground impressive from the outside as well as the inside - see pictures below.
There was a poor turnout from Hull supporters and about 2,000 SAFC loyals in the ground when kick off started. I did not meet up with Clive D and his merry band of men as they were in a different boozer near to the main car park but did see them in the ground but not to talk to them so don't know what they thought of the ground and the match.

Not much to say about the game really as it was a pathetic show from the lads. First half I think only Carl Robinson shone for me, Julio and Macca teamed up well until Macca went off injured. Centre of defence Breen and Caldwell still look shaky and will not stop the big players in the premiership - a worry that must be addressed. Breen was at fault with their goal letting the forward through on his left side to strike a good shot that the keeper had no chance. Our first shot at the goal was at 8.25pm - 5 minutes till the end of the first half - Julio blazing a shot about 3 foot over the bar. Just before this Jon Stead missed a clear header about 3 yards to the right of the goal and Brown well he is not a premiership striker plenty of effort but missed headers / passes etc. The first half was a case of not enough shots on goal, loose passing, shaky centre of defence and no structure at all.

Second half - all change just Breen staying on the pitch - still not much to say other than Tommy Miller looked strong but unfit - no names on shirts so difficult to make out the new from the old and the kids - there was a player number 17 on his back looked like David Milburn playing at left back - not sure who he is, I must look up the squad numbers after I finish the posting. The keeper made his first save of the match half way through the second half - about 15 minutes to go some SAFC loyals were heading for the exits.

Well I see McCarthy on safc.com says the team looked tired after the long flight home on Monday - so why arrange to play a friendly on the Wednesday? It's just us daft loyals that foot up the money to watch garbage - it's going to be a very long season unless he makes a move in the transfer market for a known effective striker and a rock as central defender.

Hope things improve against Sheffield United on Saturday - I will report on this on Sunday.

Jim Gilling
FTM


OOH ITS A CORNER - EXCITEMENT AT LAST! Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At Thursday, July 28, 2005, Blogger Miller said...

Results dont mean nothing in these games, but the way they have played in every game in pre-season doesn't fill me with confidence.

McCartney's injury seems worrying but the fact that we are going to have Breen and Caldwell up against van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Henry and Defoe scares the shit out of me - and I bet i'm not alone.....I too cant believe we haven't gone for a central defender with premiership experience. Alan Stubbs or Stephane Henchoz? Surely they are better than what we have?

I will see first hand at Sheffield what the new signings are like...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home