Thursday, October 13, 2005

England v Poland

Picked CliveD, DavidD, Geordie and Stewy up at 2.00pm from the Black Lion and by the time we hit the A1(M) DavidD was sound asleep in the front ... and remained a sleep for most of the journey there and back. After a quick pee stop on the M62 we arrived at Old Trafford about 4.20pm it was almost like Saturday - peeing down none stop.
We decided to stay in the Trafford pub until kick off so I parked the car up at the cricket club for £6. The pub was packed to the rafters plenty feeling the impact of a full afternoons session, songs included 10 german bombers, were going to Germany and one to the poles (who were not allowed in the pub) you would have been a kraut if its wasn't for the English. Anyway we wormed our way through the masses and found a perfect spot to stand just outside the ladies bog! Man did we have some fun, I was asking for tickets to enter the toilet informing them that if they did not have one they were available from the bar, informing them that the toilets were being cleaned up and they had to wait a few minutes which they did and with crossed legs and then there was the constant pushing of breasts from large to small against us all this going on when Stewy was trying to tap up one of the barmaids remarks to the question "is there anything else you want" while being served "yes can I have your phone number" were a typical remark by Stewy as he kept on with his campaign. CliveD went outside to go to a bookies he had a tip and we all placed £5 on the nose it got beat, CliveD got wet again and he also reported a nearby pub was going up as he passed, all windows being smashed out and not by the English fans but the Poles.
A memorable and historic remark on my character was then made by CliveD - having only had one pint Stewy got me a pint of lager and lime instead of what I had asked for soda and lime, when I refused to drink the pint as "I had already had one pint" CliveD stated "I was a good alround genuine guy as if it was him driving he would probably have had about four pints."
So it was off to the match in the rain and seated before the start that is a change for me when I am with the two Billy's.
The team selection was probably the best available although I am not yet convinced with the quality of Sean Wright Phillips. As the game progressed worthy of a mention was Ledley King, Luke Young and the return of mad Rooney. Michael Owen again missed a few sitters and as I keep saying is not the same player as before he went to Madrid. Not many shots on target in the first half (come to think of it not too many in the second) We went one up in the closing stages of the first half with a flick by Owen from a Cole shot. Joe Cole I thought played one of his better games for England but fizzled out in the second half - not sure about his world class rating. Then as we were all celebrating Poland scored a good goal and then we found out that the Polish fans were not just in their section althrough the North and South stands you could see Polish fans up and celebrating - good for them it was good to see a team being well supported away from home. Obviously these were all UK poles that had applied via Ticketshitter and got their tickets anywhere except the away end. i hope there was no trouble but later heard there had been some flashes of violence shown against them. So 1:1 and HT.
Halftime entertainment was from G-Force and they were well and truely booed heckled and jeered all through their singing, chants of "who the f***ing hell are you" could be heard from all around the ground. Don't know why (R they Welsh or just rubbish) maybe someone might explain.

Second half probably same as first half England pushing up but not creating many shots on target. Then there was the Crouch substitution, okay I thought he played crap in his first full game but no player deserves to be jeered from his own supporters.
Then we scored the winner from Frank Lampard with a good volley from a flick pass from Owen.
Sorry Huyton but having just seen the goal again on TV I can't agree with your comment on an earlier posting. Crouch was in the area but did not take two men away from Lampard allowing him to score. My view after seeing it over and over again was that no one even marked Crouch as he went through they all marked Owen and Lampard and it was Owen's clever thinking that created the opening for Lampard. I don't believe I said that about Owen!
At the final whistle I think we were all releaved that it was over and that we had won the group. If we needed that win to qualify I don't think I would have had any fingers left never mind fingernails. Overall better than last Saturday's match but still a long way to go to get that all important teamwork and confidence going.
So it was back out to the rain and to the car. One thing I will remember is never to park in the cricket ground car park - what a nightmare to get out we had to wait over 1/2 hour before exiting the car park. We went through the city centre passing the Arndale Centre about 11.00pm DavidD by this stage - yes you've guessed it was sound asleep and considering that we got back to Sedgefield at 12.40am not too bad a drive - kept to the speed limit again!

Just been advise I am guaranteed a ticket for the England v Argentina game in Geneva on 12th November so looked up some flights and Easyjet have raised their prices so if would cost nearly £200 to get out by Easyjet on the Friday to the Sunday. Looked about again and found cheaper flights on KLM at £165 from Durham Tees Valley. Then I had a thought old airmiles that I thought I had for KLM from my old days of flying with my previous employer- one phone call and now booked business class both ways and the cost £60 to cover fuel and airport taxes. Now all I need to find out is do I have enough AMEX points for a free hotel!!
Pictures will follow as I am loading the software for the new camera as we speak.

Jim Gilling
FTM

4 Comments:

At Thursday, October 13, 2005, Blogger Huyton Hoofer said...

Well perhaps not two tied up Jim but he sure had them thinking and was a big distraction.

I really think you need to get hold of a video of the Austria game and look at Crouch with an objective head on.

he was much more effective than some of his team mates.

Once he starts scoring goals for Liverpool ( and he will) and gets a couple for England then oopinions will change.

I'm not his biggest fan, but there are far worse players than Crouch.

Rochembak and Pogatetz to mention two, Ameobi makes three.

Good to see you kept your sensible head on and know where your priorities lie when it comes to drink and cars.

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005, Blogger Billy said...

Seems like David D was doing a good impression of me on the way back from the game i.e. fast asleep!
I'm looking forward to the Mags game now - nothing to lose, all to gain.

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005, Blogger Huyton Hoofer said...

Jimmy has your hardware gone soft?

Never realised you were having those problems.

If you need someone to talk to, you can trust me, I'm a Doctor.

GET THOSE PICTURES PSOTED MAN IT'S NEARLY 6 HOURS SINCE YOU WERE GOING TO GET YOUR SOFTWARE FIRMED UP.

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005, Blogger Jim Gilling - Secretary SAFCSA Coxhoe Branch said...

No problems with down loading but I also took some movie clips and have actually been working for a living this afternoon hope to get things sorted tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home