Sunday, January 29, 2006

Message from Mick

Dear Coxhoe Branch,

Brentford were better than us, they deserved to win. They were two excellent finishes but it was awful, awful defending.
It would be churlish to criticise our lads when I think they [Brentford] did well.
The defending for both goals, despite two great finishes, was schoolboy stuff - especially the second one.
I can't sing DJ Campbell's praises enough but it was bad defending. It's disgraceful defending. If I had been playing they wouldn't have gone in - and I'm 47!
It's not a confidence thing. We played well last week and were really confident; they've done a job on us and been better than us. My only argument is with my team.
We have missed him [Kyle] but he's not fully back at it yet; he's done alright - as well as the other strikers and he's been out for 18 months, so that perhaps tells you something about it.
There are no positives, we were poor. It would be a long week if we had to wait until [next] Saturday. I'm glad we've got the Boro game.
We're not guaranteed because of our Premier League status to come down here and win. I can only concede that they were better than us on the day.
They fought hard for it and caused us problems, certainly the front two did. But I didn't particularly like the way we played against them. I've let the players know what I think.
We had a great chance to score at 0-0. I didn't expect to lose it the way we did. I'll keep battling away like I always have.

All the best,

Mick

1 Comments:

At Monday, January 30, 2006, Blogger Billy said...

I picked this up from RTG. I think it summarises quite well how we all feel right now.


How much humiliation do we have to suffer this damn season? There really is nothing one can say about this match. Our pathetic hopes of maybe enjoying the second half of the season with a few wins and some cup games were shown to be utterly laughable. It would be one thing to get beaten by a gutsy team from two divisions below us playing gutsy football – but the truth is we were outclassed. Brentford simply played better football than we did. They thoroughly deserved to win.

And so Boro at the SoL on Tuesday. Great. What can we do? I am sort of just trying to get through this period hoping that eventually things will some how turn better again – but I can’t imagine how. It might well be without McCarthy. This game could have tipped the balance from “what have we got to gain from getting rid of him?” to “what have we got to lose by getting rid of him?”.

I tried to drink myself into a stupor last night but no matter how much I drank I stayed sober. The depression of being a Sunderland supporter can not be penetrated by mere alcohol.

God I am depressed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home