Saturday, March 19, 2005

It's come and gone

Well here's an opportunity to get the first one in. First off the bus , first in the house and first to get a blog going before Billy and Jim and before Mrs Hoofer drives me to Seaton Carew for fish and chips and stroll along the beach, this balmy spring evening.

Well as the title says it's come and gone, my first match of the season after my self imposed exile. To be honest, I think you all need medals as big as frying pans for putting yourselves through that week in week out. I thought the first hour was dreadful and on a par with what I'd sat through last season. Exile has woken me up to just how bad Championship football is. I've said it before but watching a srtruggling Premiership side is a more attractive proposition than the fayre served up today.

A win is a win and up until the introduction of Andy Welsh, I thought this is going to be one of those games that could cost us dearly at the end of the season. You know the one's I mean, QPR, Good Friday 1998, is a fine example, however Welsh for me was the key that unlocked the door. Direct, and can take a man on the outside or inside, his play was reminiscent of Magic Johnson during the 1998 / 99 season. A sight to behold. McCartney looks the prospect he always was and had an excellent game today. I don't really want to get in to the game of knocking players but I will. Whitley, for all he is seen as a key player in some quarters, just doesn't do it for me. Footballers are revered or castigated for what they do with the ball. Jeff, you can't pass, you contribute little in terms of having the team move forward, and this is what players are remembered for, skill. I'm sure your contribution is welcomed in a lot of quarters, but you just don't excite me, in fact you agitate me.

So then it s 2 points clear with 7 games to go. No easy games in this league. Can the nerve hold? Will the nerve hold? Who will be the first to crack? Is it Wigan? 1 point against a lowly Forest side. Will the Championship be coming to Sunderland for the 3rd time in 10 years? Sounds good but it also means to win a championship 3 times we have been relegated twice. Get the investment in if we go up and make sure it doesn't happen again in my lifetime or whats left of it.

So the day is over. I have enjoyed the crack, Seen Billy, The Postman, MelvinH and Jim to name but a few. I have enjoyed the social side of it and will return to celebrate Billy's half century against Reading by which time I hope our lead has increased and the football has improved.

Hasta Luego Amigos

1 Comments:

At Saturday, March 19, 2005, Blogger Billy said...

Fair summary Jack. TBH today was not one of our better performances but I think the nerves are getting to the top three and we held ours today whilst the others faltered and pulled off a vital win.
Anyway, it was nice to see you at the match again and have a bit crack and I'm looking forward to seeing you at the Reading game.
You never know, you might get to like it (again)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home