Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Jim's mate Donny Dog banned from game

Police ban Donny the Dog

Police have come under fire after banning a football club mascot from a match because of his "unsuitable" costume.Grandad Andy Liney, 58, was stopped by police as he tried to get into Doncaster Rovers' match at Huddersfield Town.Mr Liney, who's been Rovers' mascot Donny the Dog for five years, had received written permission to appear at the Galpharm Stadium.But he told the Yorkshire Post: "I got within 50 yards of the stadium when I was stopped by a Huddersfield official and told I was not going to be allowed in because of police intelligence."Then I said I would take my Donny Dog head off and sit in the stands with the rest of our fans, but they said I could only do that if I got changed."The costume is an all-in-one double-lined fur suit so I don't wear anything underneath it, and I hadn't brought a change of clothes. The club offered to find me some but I didn't much want to wear someone else's clothes so I spent the game on the supporters' coach."A spokeswoman for West Yorkshire Police said: "The situation was risk-assessed, and based on the intelligence available a decision was taken not to allow the mascot on to the pitch before the match."
Rovers' chairman John Ryan said: "I think it is an absolute scandal. I feel like reporting West Yorkshire police to the RSPCA."

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 08, 2006, Blogger Jim Gilling - Secretary SAFCSA Coxhoe Branch said...

Billy - where do you find them???

 
At Wednesday, March 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mitts, that's a cracker.

 
At Wednesday, March 08, 2006, Blogger Huyton Hoofer said...

We always knew the W Yorks were cruel buggers, but animal cruelty?

I think the line about the RSPCA has to be the quote of the year.

 
At Wednesday, March 08, 2006, Blogger Billy said...

The thing that made me laugh most was the coppers said that the situation had been "risk assessed."

Political correctness gone mad!!

I actually picked this on up from RTG. It reminded me of Jim's story of "Donny Dog" attending one of his England fan's meetings held at Doncaster wearing his costume and kept popping out to entertain the crowd. Jim said it was surreal seeing Donny sat there in full costume, listening to the meeting!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home