Sunday, August 21, 2005

Liverpool 1 SAFC 0

Well it was our first away day and what a way to start the new season against the European Champions, Liverpool.
Bus was almost full good to see Rossy at his best and got us down to our watering hole just outside St. Helens at 11.00am. As Billy stated in one of his comments the CIU was a good one even had one of the Aycliffe branch members bringing their kareoke gear with them, it was a laugh but not singers from the Sedgefield branch - just a romantic solo from me direct to the lovely Christine.
Then it was off to Anfield we arrived about 2.10pm and headed for a quick pint in the Flat Iron pub after I had a good fish and chips next to the Arkel Pub.
Our seat in the ground was about four rows from the front and to the left of the goal. It was very hot with the sun beaming down on our heads, Miller could not stand the heat and thought he might be red raw with sun burn for their night out in Liverpool. Billy took the easy route after eating plenty of sandwiches on the way down (about 5!) he greeded some fish and chips off me and then went on to take some more chips off a kid in front of him ...... then fell a sleep for a few minutes during the first half. Yes bloggers Billy FELL ASLEEP AT A MATCH ...... as he said afterwards it was a good job it was not at Smogland or he would have been thrown out and arrested for being drunk.
As for the game yes we were outclassed, but should have been with their team, but we held in there and fought back like troopers. Okay we did not create chances but there were signs that with a little bit of luck something will click in the future. I am not a great believer in Chris Brown but I must admit when he came on we put pressure on them and with Stephen Elliott looking lively, everytime he got the ball there were 4 Liverpool players on him, we seemed to be creating more half chances. As for the sending off never in a million years was it a sending off offence or even an offence worthy of a yellow card. Look at Gerards tackles on Stubbs - one law for the famous and one for the "who's he" brigade.
We must get something from the next few games or confidence in both players and fans will be low. I am sure we will get something from Man. City and Wigan games then roll on Chelsea!
So we got back from the match at 9.15pm, quick shit and shower and back to the Club where Mrs Gilligan was waiting. Not a bad night with many well wishers wishing me all the best for my meeting with the committee ..... story about my appearance to follow but just to say I will still be in the club for each home match.

Jim Gilling
FTM

1 Comments:

At Monday, August 22, 2005, Blogger Billy said...

Good report Jimmy.

Yes, it's true, through a combination of some of early mornings this week, the sun blazing down on us and, of course a few drinks, I did 'nod off' for as couple of minutes in the first half. It's great to have a few pre-match pints but it totallly knacks me up afterwards - a lot of the others seem to take it in their stride but it zonks me out afterwards and, as usual, I had a bouncing headache on the way home. I've found it helps if I have plenty to eat and a load of water to drink so thats why I was after Jim's F&C's, purely for 'medicinal purposes' only! Also I blame Steve Walton for setting the pace and making me have 6 pints although I must admit I was a willing participant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home