Sunday, September 17, 2006

Message from Roy Keane

Dear Coxhoe Branch,
It was a reality check for everyone at the football club, especially the players. At any football club, in any team, you've got to work your socks off.
We didn't do that in the first half but credit to the players after going a goal down, we showed character.
The substitution worked, it was a bit of luck and you need that along the way.
When I came to the club I left Toby [Hysen] out after the West Brom game even though he played very well. But he's been a true professional, he hasn't come knocking on my door like one or two others.
I had a feeling he [Hysen] could play a part today and I'm glad he did. He got a great goal and staked a claim for a place.
Most supporters who follow their football club just want the players to give 100 per cent and we did today.
It was a tired performance, I take responsibility for that. I thought about freshening things up and I should have.
Three games in a week is hard for any players, especially in the position we were in. That's my job and I didn't do it really well today.
I should have freshened things up, I just felt they deserved another game but three games in a week is hard going.
I said to Dwight [Yorke] that he could be on very quickly and to be switched on, like all the subs.
I'm delighted with Yorkie, it's tough coming on because he's not played for a few weeks. It will have done him the world of good.
You have to remember that we're still in the bottom half of the league. People have been getting carried away which is natural.
If you have got the character the players showed in the second half, you've got half a chance.
We could have played better in the first half, we didn't close people down or tackle but again a lot of it was down to tiredness.
You learn about different players in different situations, whether you are winning or losing, whether it is a home or away game, different pressures.
You look at the week we had, a couple of wins and a draw, it's OK.
We'll look at Daryl. It's disappointing, it's a hamstring injury and I'm sure it'll be a fair few weeks.
You need the squad and it's just unfortunate that we've got injuries to three strikers - but there you go, it's football, it happens.
It's a reality check for everyone at the club, it's a disappointing dressing room and that's what I like to see.
You're not happy when you draw home game. If you want to go anywhere at a football club, you have to win your home games. Give credit to Leicester, they closed us down and tackled.
They probably smelt blood, we had some tired legs out there.
All the best,
Roy
Sunderland 1 Leicester 1 Click here to visit the match centre.
Next match:Ipswich Town v Sunderland Saturday, September 23 (3.00pm).
Click here for the latest ticket information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home