Monday, February 07, 2005

The Big Week-End

Well it started with a trip to Wolves, only 15 of us on a mini bus that picked us up at 1.00pm and got us safe a sound to the watering hole Clive had mapped out for us at 5.30pm. A few JD and cokes on the way down set the way ahead for a good sup in the pub. Billy was in good form leading the way by supping off first and even getting a round in twice. Then it was off to the match.
A good start to the game with a good seat and not a bad ground. The Lads played well in the first half until the goalkeeping error that let Wolves back in then the midfield lost it and Wolves kept pressing for a winner but didn't have the fire power to kill us off. Bridges dropped a beauty of a ball into the centre but Whitehead could not finish as good as the fantastic goal from Elliott. So it ended 1-1 and we went home fairly happy as I think we would have taken a draw before the match started. On the way back we started celebrating my 50th birthday at 12.00am on the M18 just outside Rotherham. Not the ideal spot to be when you turn fifty but the "happy birthday" rendition from all on the bus was much appreciated as was the final bottle of JD and coke.

Saturday 5th February and the day of my birthday party but first a mad dash to my cousin Patricia's wedding with my mother. Started at 12.00pm and finished at 5.30pm - good wedding good banter from my mother and one of my aunts - it was like the muppet show all over again. Got back home at 6.00pm, my mother fell over on our front step and cut all her leg open so another mad dash to get the bleeding to stop before getting down the club to welcome all my guests.

The party was well attended about 230 plus were there, a few did not make it but that was fine as the fire certificate only allows for 260 in the concert room. Did everyone see my bonny pictures on the wall - now I know what Linda, Lorraine and Melanie had been upto while I was at the wedding. The evening started with the disco, then Heartbeat did their sixties spot, then a bit more disco and Roughy was on. Great act, pity he could not have been on for longer as just as he was getting into his stride time was against him and he had to finish to let the group finish their spot with a batch of numbers from the 70's. Forgot to mention to Roughy that there was one of my mates in like Heather Mills as he had to have his leg off due to an accident but I saw my mate in the bogs and he said he had enjoyed the Heather Mills jokes so all was okay. The night was rounded off by my mate Peachey giving a few burst from the past with the Greyhound Football Team's anthem "simply the best" being one of them. Night finished off at 12.00am at the club and then it was back to my house for more drink, more music and this time some food (sorry for those who thought that there would have been food on at the club but you must have realised that there was no room and no time for any). Finally got to bed about 4.30am with a bad head and aching limbs as I had been dancing my wick out which is not the norm.

Next morning woke up with sore head, aching limbs so I went down the club at 12.30pm to have the hair of the dog to put me right. It didn't so I went back home and went to bed about 5.00pm to get up at 8.00pm and read my cards and count my bottles of drink that I had received from some great friends. Total count was 97 cards, 39 bottles of spirits and the club took just over £2,000 behind the bar. Not a bad night - I have the photos to prove it - be warned everyone who was there without their wives!

So thanks to all that came to the bash, to the High-lites disco, Heartbeat and Roughy for making it a special night for me and my family. Here's to my sixtieth bash - already preparing.


Jim Gilling

2 Comments:

At Monday, February 07, 2005, Blogger Huyton Hoofer said...

piss head :-)

 
At Thursday, February 10, 2005, Blogger Mark Rough - Comedian said...

Thanks for the kind comments. It was a great night, despite jim having kittens because I turned up at the ridiculously late time of two minutes to eight!! It would have been lovely to have done a bit longer. However the band were due back on and it was a party crowd with a low boredom threshold. Or the fact that that they were all from Kella!
It was great to catch up with Max and Paddy (sorry, Jack and Taff)
Glad you enjoyed it all Jim and I hope to see you all soon
Roughy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home